Friday, April 10, 2009

Education, your right?

Disclaimer: The author has no intention of relating this post to anyone in Catholic Junior College.
Though overwhelmed by angst, she is rational at the point of typing this post.

One of the social effects of the One-Child Policy is that of benefits of female children. Many are beginning to be more open-minded and not stick to the traditional mindset of gender preference for boys. However, many girls in the rural regions such as Tibet are still deprived of education as educational opportunities are deemed as the prerogative of boys. Till today, girls of Tibet are still made to do tedious and laborious chores because the male Tibetans OFTEN do not have to lift a finger at home.

I'm not immersed in the articles of One-Child Policy, CSE.
I'm not going crazy because of the rather-manageable workload of China Studies in English.
I'm not typing all this to preach about what I have learnt.

I AM VERY UPSET.

I am very upset that there are still people who take education for granted, regard education as a matter-of-fact.
Just look at the statistics. 90% of the children who are not schooling (as of a certain year which i am not sure of) are girls from rural regions!
Do you realise how fortunate you are, receiving a full-fledged education right here in Singapore?
There are your female counterparts whom many are of the same age as us, DEPRIVED of an education!
Yet here you are, taking your education for granted. 
A miracle has happened, and a second chance have been given to you, why don't you repent?
Your family and friends are truly concerned about you and your parents have given EVERYTHING you need to aid you in catching up with your peers.
Yet you chose to go against their wishes and commit countless mistakes to break their hearts.

I'm not trying to portray an image of goody-two shoes, but I can tell you.
I take pride in saying that I have not and will not take my education for granted.
Yes, I do whine and complain about workload, and in some mornings dread going to school.
But never have I, taken a heck-care attitude towards my education.

I feel useless for not being about to render any form of help to you.
I can't bear the sight of watching you waste your youth away.
Pardon me for my selfishness to stay away and not intervene, for the lack of determination to bring you back on right track.

You will always be in my prayers, and I will be here, waiting for you to come home.

Repent, my dear, before it's too late.

1 comment:

jie heng said...

chill girl. chill~