Sunday, January 18, 2009

kids and adults

There are many things in this world that I have yet to discover and understand.
Because I have problems trying to understand the simplest things of all.

When kids commit mistakes, they apologise and put the incident behind them once they are forgiven.
When teenagers commit mistakes, they apologise hesitantly and probably take some time before they are able to put the incident behind them completely.
When adults commit mistakes, (of course I'm not judging all the adults, a number of them, perhaps), try to run away from them and do nothing about it. Thinking that time heals all wounds and hopefully time will do the job of burying the hatchet for them. And wait a second, do they ever put incidents behind them?

While the adults have more knowledge and experience than the young ones, they should be more responsible and capable in handling with conflicts and having the integrity to admit their mistakes. However, it looks like the young ones are handling it better! Isn't it ironic?

Come to think of it, the young and innocent who practise simplicity are often the ones who are carefree. 
Those who put their ego before them will constantly be thinking whether the other party has forgiven them.
In this aspect, I rather stay as a kid.


[the above content is solely my thoughts and observations and has nothing to do with the book that i'm reading.]


I've been reading 'Of Human Bondage' by W. Somerset Maugham lately and I like this book because the novelist does not just give me straightforward and blunt statements like, "The boy is thinking of his mum." But he gives me space for my imagination and allows me to decipher the lines. Most importantly, I felt the power of literature once again. Allow me to elaborate.
This is a book that was written over 45 years ago and the issues that surfaced in the book (eg: problems that surface in all human relationships) still exists today and I can somehow relate to them.

Many of you must be thinking, "what the hell is wrong with her today?"
Haha, don't worry, I'm perfectly fine.
Just needed a space to let my thoughts out.

As some of you may already know, I have been doing up a collection of quotes recently.
Before I end my post, let me share one with you.

"It is an illusion that youth is happy, an illusion of those who have lost it but the young know they are wretched for they are full of the truthless ideal which have been instilled into them, and each time they come in contact with the real, they are bruised and wounded." - W. Somerset Maugham

No comments: